Mathematics and Operational Research Department
Mathematics and Operational Research (MathRO) is one of the three departments dealing with Computer Science and Management within the Faculty of Engineering, which is part of the University of Mons (UMONS), Belgium.
MathRO's research activities cover fields such as:
- multiple criteria decision analysis and multi-objective optimization
- data mining
- applications of combinatorial optimization to production scheduling and logistics
- numerical resolution of partial differential equations.
This department teaches mathematics both at undergraduate and graduate levels, with operational research, optimization, statistics and numerical analysis.
Our team is composed of five professors, seven research and teaching assistants, four postdoc researchers, one secretary and over six doctoral students.
Doctoral course 2013
MCDA & MOO
Multicriteria decision analysis and multi-objective optimization
Organizers: Y. De Smet (ULB), Th. Marchant (UGent), M. Pirlot (UMONS)
Target audience: doctoral students in decision, optimization, operational research, preferences
Goal: offer an introduction (at doctoral level) to specific topics and mathematical models in the field of multiple criteria decision analysis and multi-objective optimization and to algorithmic problems raised by the use of such models.
Organization: A full day conference + 4 lectures of about 3 hours and an afternoon of poster sessions in English. The 4 lectures focus on independent topics. All activities will take place either in Brussels (ULB, Campus Plaine) or in Mons (UMONS, Faculté Polytechnique) as indicated in the programme below. The precise room will be announced later.
Further information: contact Prof. Marc Pirlot: firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. March 20, 2013 (Wednesday), 15:00—18:00 in Brussels, ULB, Campus Plaine, Building NO, Room Solvay, 5th floor. Dr. P. Viappiani (CNRS-Lip6, University Paris VI), Preference learning models
2. April 15, 2013 (Monday), 09:30—18:00 in Mons,UMONS, Faculté Polytechnique, 9 rue de Houdain, Room 23, 2nd floor. A one-day conference on Selected Topics in Optimization
3. April 24, 2013 (Wednesday), 14:00—17:00 in Mons. Prof. P. Meyer (Telecom Bretagne), Diviz, a tool for combining and executing multi-criteria decision procedures
4. May 08, 2013 (Wednesday), 14:00—17:00 in Brussels. Poster sessions in which PhD students present their research topic. Discussion with the other PhD students and senior researchers
5. May 29, 2013 (Wednesday), 14:00—17:00 in Brussels. Prof. Th. Denoeux (University of Technology in Compiègne) and Prof. Y. De Smet (ULB): Belief functions theory and applications to Multi-criteria decision analysis
6. June 11, 2013 (Tuesday), 14:00—17:00 in Mons. Prof. Philippe Fortemps (UMONS), Rough sets for preference learning
This programme could be modified. The persons who want to be informed of possible changes in the programme are invited to contact the organizers.
This course is organized with the support of the Graduate School in Mathematics and the Académie Universitaire Wallonie-Bruxelles. It is also supported by the Graduate School in Systems,
Optimization, Control and Networks (SOCN) as well as by the Graduate School in Computing Science (GRASCOMP).